Friday, May 14, 2010

The Candidates

President

Timothy Linehan

Whenever I hear the sea lions barking, or see hummingbirds in the community gardens, or watch my son play with friends at Storke playground, I'm reminded what a fantastic place this is we call home. Why vote for me? I guess because I've come to really value this community. I care about it. And I'd be glad to do my part to keep this place a great place to live. The Tenants' Association works toward that goal, and I'd like to be a part of it.

Brandy Tuutau

Spending the past year on the Board as the Storke II representative, I have been involved with all the meetings and events hosted by the Tennant’s Association, and I know what works and what doesn’t. I know that the best leaders don’t do it all themselves, but get everyone to work together. As president, I hope to encourage unity in both the Association’s Board as well as in the community as a whole, and I will help strengthen this organization which is designed to help protect resident’s rights and resolve community issues through the proper channels. I am very efficient and practical, yet am still passionate about helping the community. I’ve lived in Family Student Housing for over a year and half and understand many issues facing our community members.

I know most people don’t really care about the board and probably won’t take the time to vote, but this organization is important for all of the FSH community. Please vote, because you do matter, and we would love to get you more involved. I know I will be a great president so take the time to vote and let your voice be heard!

Vice President

Lorna Hess

Hi! My name is Lorna Hess. My husband is a Graduate student in the Philosophy Department, and I stay at home with our two little girls. We moved to FSH in September of ’09, and are really enjoying all of the beautiful beaches and wonderful weather that Santa Barbara has to offer. I am applying for the position of Vice President because I believe I will make an ideal assistant to the President. I would love to contribute in bettering our community by improving safety and cracking down on the recent bike thefts. Please allow me to represent you to the TA Board.

Julie Moreira

I have thoroughly enjoyed living in Family Student Housing; there are so many great things already in place about this community (the gardens, the playgrounds, and quick response of the maintenance team). It would be an honor to be the person capable of making changes in response to the concerns and requests of my peers in family housing. Whether the concerns involve safety or funding, I can stand firm when representing our community when meeting with Housing Services. My husband and I are both graduate students in the electrical engineering department: engineer = expert problem solver! Not only do I have a desire to make a difference, but I also have board experience. I have served as Treasurer for the Tau Beta Pi and Eta Kappa Nu engineering honor societies, and I am running specifically for the Vice President position to increase my leadership role and impact. Currently, as a teaching assistant I have honed my skills as both a listener and leader. Thank you for considering me!

Secretary

Krystal Johnson

My name is Krystal Johnson and I am interested in running for Secretary on the Tenants Association Board. I have several years of experience with typing, data entry and working with all Microsoft Office programs. I was elected as the Storke I representative for the 2009-2010 term, so I have one year of experience working with the Tenants Association Board. If elected, I will strive to complete my job as Secretary to the best of my ability in order to help keep all Family Student Housing residents up to date and informed on things concerning the Tenants community and the Tenants Association. I would like to continue taking an active role in the community in order to help make Family Student Housing a safe, clean and enjoyable environment for everyone.

Treasurer

Eileen Parker

Hello everyone! My name is Eileen Parker and I have lived in West Campus for almost a year. I attend many of the community activities, but I want to become more involved in the infrastructure of the Tenant’s Association. My fiancĂ© is a financial math student at UCSB, and I work full time with the cutest and most innocent of us all, at the Orfalea Child Care Center. I already know many of the families that live here through that connection, and still need to meet the rest of you! I am interested in the Treasurer position for the Tenant’s Association as I am constantly surrounded by numbers and finances through my fiancĂ©’s studies and I would like to help West Campus and Storke Apartments remain financially organized. Thank you for this opportunity!

Webmaster

Katherine Tompkins

I am throwing my hat in the ring for Webmaster of the Tenants Association Board. I realize that this has been a very competitive position, but I am confident I can continue to do this job well. As current Webmaster, I assist with getting our business out to the community. This consists of updating and maintaining the board’s website, as well as creating advertisements and flyers for TA events. This year I am helping to launch our first ever online elections, from planning to execution. It is very rewarding to use my technical skills to make the community more aware of the work we do, and I hope to continue to serve the family student housing community in this capacity.

West Campus Representative

Brad Hinton

My qualifications include 2 years as a home owners association property manager assistant, and 6 years as a middle manager in the US Army, and 2 years as a wealth manager assistant. My property manager experience helps me understand the needs of tenants and owners, and also, helps me quickly diagnose and resolve property situations. I have worked with budgets and newsletters. I have proofread and distributed thousands of newsletters monthly. As a middle manager in the Army, a sergeant, I was in charge of 12 soldiers directly, and $50 million worth of ammunition during the war in Iraq. I led my soldiers successfully in over 36,000 miles of resupply operations to the front lines. Under attack, I had no casualties. I have the ability to make quick and profitable decisions under extreme duress. As a wealth manager, I help people keep their finances in order, and help them make good decisions that will benefit them down the road. I am rather good at helping people, and get called on at work to do much more than just my job. Overall, I am excited to be a part of something that can make a difference in the community.

Storke Representative (Vote for two)

Kaitlyn DeMartini

I would like to run for Storke Representative. I would like to be on the Tenants Association to work with housing for residents to make FSH a better place for everyone

Shannon Kurtz

I live in Storke I with my philosophy-grad-student husband Ian and my toddler Hank. I would love to be one of Storke’s representatives. You may have seen me around the playground with Hank or volunteering at the Swap Shop on Wednesdays. Before my son was born (and a little after) I worked at the Isla Vista Food Co-op, which gave me a unique education in meeting the needs of a community. I love living here and I would really like to be of service to you. As an added bonus, I am really, really good at hanging fliers. Just saying.

Adam Wyatt Rounds

I am currently a graduate student of Religious Studies, but I also completed my BA at UCSB. Having been a resident of UCSB's housing community for the last 8 years has allowed me to become familiar with many of the needs of the student resident population.

My experience and involvement in various committees, both UC and non-UC affiliated, has prepared me for participation on the Tenants Association, and I look forward to lending my assistance to serve the residents of our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment